As a driver, one of the things you worry about is the safety of your cargo. The concern is greater when you are driving a vehicle with a tonneau, such as a pickup truck. In such vehicles, one of the best ways to ensure your cargo is safe is by using a standard tonneau cover.
Besides protecting your cargo from weather elements and theft, the tonneau cover also looks good on your vehicle. Thus, due to their functionality and appearance, tonneau covers have grown popular over time.
Why Use Tonneau Covers?
In case you are still wondering whether or not to get a tonneau cover, below is an in-depth look at some of their benefits and reasons why you should consider getting one if you do not own one yet.
1. Increase Gas Mileage by up to 10%
A recent study by the Specialty Equipment Market Association showed that trucks with tonneau covers increase their gas mileage by up to 1.18mpg. This means that by covering the tonneau, your truck will move faster.
Thanks to the aerodynamic design of the tonneau cover, the truck bed will generate less air drag. As a result, your vehicle’s gas mileage can increase by 5%. Some vehicles end up saving as high as 10% gas mileage. Thus, you get to save on fuel when you use tonneau covers like the roll-up tonneau covers.
2. Add Value
Installing a tonneau cover is one way of increasing your truck’s value. The cover increases your vehicle’s value by protecting your truck’s bed from damage caused by weather elements, and by increasing your car’s gas mileage. Thus, whenever you want to resell your truck, you will be doing that when the truck is in good condition.
For instance, if your truck did not have a tonneau cover, the bed will likely be damaged by the time you want to resell your truck. As mentioned above, an open bed is easily damaged by weather elements like rain and too much heat from the sun.
3. Safe Storage
Can you imagine having to cram your groceries and other items together with your passengers simply because your truck lacks a cover? Well, you can avoid this uncomfortable situation by investing in a tonneau cover.
With a tonneau cover, your lightweight items such as groceries can safely stay in the back of your truck even when you are traveling at a high speed.
4. Enhanced Security
It is extremely easy for a thief to snatch something from the tonneau if there is no cover. All they have to do is stretch their hands and take it. Even if the thief had no plans of stealing from you, the temptation will be so high to ignore when the object is within their sight and reach.
You can actively prevent theft by installing a tonneau cover, so your items are out of sight of potential thieves. Moreover, you can enhance the security of your luggage by getting a tonneau cover with a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism will help protect whatever you are carrying in your tonneau.
5. Keep Things in Place
One of the harsh elements of weather is wind. When you put your items in an open truck bed, they can easily fall off or shift because of strong winds. However, with a tonneau cover, you can avoid this problem. A tonneau cover helps you keep your luggage organized until you reach your destination.
Types of Tonneau Covers
There are various types of tonneau covers in the market. The following are some of the most common.
- Folding Tonneau Covers – They allow you to cover the part you want while leaving the other part open. These covers come in handy, particularly when carrying cargos with weird shapes.
- Roll-up Tonneau Covers – Works just like the folding tonneau cover. However, it does not have pre-measured folds, so you can roll it as much or as little as you want. There are numerous roll-up tonneau covers in the market. Thus, finding the best roll-up tonneau cover may be a task. However, this is a worthwhile task. A look at some of the best roll-up tonneau cover reviews can help.
- Retractable Tonneau Covers – This type of tonneau covers works just like the rolling cover. The only difference is that a retractable tonneau cover retracts into itself.
- Hinged Tonneau Covers – A hinged tonneau cover gives you the advantage of locking it in an open position. Nevertheless, you will not get the same freedom as the one you get from a folding or rolling cover. In addition, it prevents you from having full access to your truck bed.
- Snap Tonneau Covers – Snap covers consist of an aluminum frame and a vinyl cover that snaps to the frame of the truck bed. Just like the folding, rolling and retractable tonneau covers, snap tonneau covers let you cover the part you want to cover and leave the other part of the truck bed open as necessary.
Now that you know the benefits of these covers and what type fits your pickup truck, you need to consider some factors before buying a Tonneau cover.
So there you have it, a brief review of some of the most common types of tonneau covers. With these tonneau covers, you do not have to worry about how to cover your tonneau.
- Best Roll Up Tonneau Cover: Review and Buying Guide – Autance.com, June 9, 2019
- 5 benefits of a tonneau cover for your truck – dsautomotive.com
- 7 Different Tonneau Cover Types For Truck Bed – mzwmotor.com
- 15 Tonneau Cover Parts: A Standard Tonneau Cover Must Have – mzwmotor.com
- 9 Factors To Consider In Buying The Best Tonneau Cover For Truck Bed – mzwmotor.com